Sunday, April 8, 2012

Pillow Day

Washington Square Park - April 7 2012

I skipped work for this day. I ran to the park with my pillow, bunny ears ( that got knocked off the first few hits) and camera ready to give a couple of blows. "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you for simply wearing that shirt, and I hate you for being taller to me." I told somebody as a swung my pillow at my victim as he bopped me on the head with his. The crowd wasn't massive, the mob was more in the hundreds, around the water fountain that's located in the middle of the park where the NYPD is cautionly watching the chaos in the middle of the empty fountain. The day was crazy. People from all around came to the park with thier pillows to give hits and get hits return. Although all was fun and games there was a time when the crowd became questionably dangerous when people were being shoved and pushed, elbows and hands were being thrown all around making me more cautious of where I stand to hit, the feathers that was flying everywhere from the pillows that was getting caught in my throat, and pillows flying everywhere, of course. However the day was fun, and yes, I had gotten a load off my mind. There were people who were brave enough to dress up in costume like; The Green Lantern, a hot dog, a Spartan, in pajamas, as Batman and Superman, and as the American flag man (that costume was completely weird.). There were battles like the one between a Bruce Lee wanna be and a guy sporting a Jeremey Lin shirt, a guy wearing a Five Brothers pizza shirt vs the hot dog costumed guy and a cute girl in with a pink bookbag vs a girl in a purple shirt chicken fight, and many others of the sort. Photographers such as myself taking risks to bring out thier camers to capture such a moment on cameras and Iphones. I had to watch myself of flying pillows when I was taking my shots although the fighters were careful themselves not to hit anyone with a camera or unarmed. Little kids partook in the fun themselves, and there was a kid in a wheelchair that was having blast.Young and old and people from whatever had a fun day swinging and throwing pillows, jumping into piles of pillows and letting day go by not really caring of affending anybody. The fight lasted a good three hours, enough time to bopp people off and tire out. That was it for me. I went back to my place sore, feathered and smiling from such a crazy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment